JOURNAL ARTICLES (PEER-REVIEWED)
Access to basic infrastructure (energy, water, sanitation)
- Energy Access for Marginalized Communities: Evidence from Rural North India, 2015-2018 (with Setu Pelz and Johannes Urpelainen). Accepted, World Development.
- Increasing Smallholder Farmers’ Market Participation through Technology Adoption in Rural Timor-Leste (with Sonia Akter et al.). Forthcoming, Asia & the Pacific Policy Studies.
- Link between Farm Electricity Supply Management, Farm Investments, and Farm Incomes – Evidence from India (with Yvonne Jie Chen and Shilpa Sathe). 2020. Energy Policy, 141, 11407.
- Who Coupled Which Stream(s)? Policy Innovation and Entrepreneurship in the Energy-Water Nexus in Gujarat, India (with Nihit Goyal and Michael Howlett). 2020. Public Administration and Development, 40(1), 49-64.
- One Price Doesn’t Fit All: An Examination of Heterogeneity in Price Elasticity of Residential Electricity in India (with Nihit Goyal). 2019. Energy Economics, 81, 765-778.
- Long-term Impact of a Community-led Sanitation Campaign in India, 2005‒2016 (with Jennifer Orgill-Meyer et al.). 2019. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 97, 523-53A. http://dx.doi.org/10.2471/BLT.18.221572 (open access)
- Effect of Reliable Electricity on Health Facilities, Health Information, and Child and Maternal Health Services Utilization: Evidence from Rural Gujarat, India (with Yvonne Jie Chen and Xiao Yun). 2019. Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, 38(7). https://doi.org/10.1186/s41043-019-0164-6 (open access)
- India’s Depleting Groundwater: When Science Meets Policy (with Quentin Grafton). 2019. Asia & the Pacific Policy Studies, 6(1), 108-124. https://doi.org/10.1002/app5.269 (open access)
- Sustaining Reforms in Water Service Delivery: The Role of Service Quality, Salience, Trust and Financial Viability (with Olivia Jensen). 2019. Water Resources Management, 33(3), 975-992.
- Water and Time Use: Evidence from Kathmandu, Nepal (with Yvonne Jie Chen and Jane Zhao). 2019. Water Policy, 21(S1), 76-100.
- Government-Civil Society Co-management Contracts for Rural Water Services: Lessons from India (with Yvonne Jie Chen and Dennis Wichelns). 2018. Policy Design and Practice, 1(4), 269-280. https://doi.org/10.1080/25741292.2018.1554200 (open access)
- Conceptualizing Effective Social Policy Design: Design Spaces and Capacity Challenges (with Michael Howlett and M Ramesh). 2017. Public Administration and Development, 37(1), 3-14.
- Beyond Power Politics: Evaluating the Policy Design Process of Rural Electrification in Gujarat, India. 2017. Public Administration and Development, 37(1), 28-39.
- Non-Revenue Water and Cost Recovery in Urban India: The Case of Bangalore (with Maitreyee Mukherjee and Jenny Gronwall). 2015. Water Policy, 17(3), 484-501.
Gender and development
- An Empirical Examination of Sustainability of Women’s Empowerment Using Panel Data from India (with Sonia Akter). 2020. Journal of Development Studies, 56(5), 890-906.
- The Link between Mothers’ Vulnerability to Intimate Partner Violence and Children’s Human Capital (with Sonia Akter). 2019. Social Science Research, 78, 187-202.
- The Value of Skills: Raising the Socio-Economic Status of Rural Women in India (with Yvonne Jie Chen). 2017. Development Policy Review, 35(2), 229-261.
- Gender and Climate Change-induced Migration: Proposing a Framework for Analysis. 2012. Environmental Research Letters, 7(2), 1-7.
Individual and household welfare (poverty, inequality, and subjective well-being)
- Bridging the Gaps in Cognitive Achievement in India: The Crucial Role of the Integrated Child Development Services in Early Childhood (with Kriti Vikram). 2020. World Development, 127, 104697.
- Subjective Well-being Effects of Coping Cost: Evidence from Household Water Supply in Kathmandu Valley, Nepal (with Yvonne Jie Chen and Yogendra Gurung). 2019. Journal of Happiness Studies, 20(8), 2581-2608.
- Is Subjective Well-Being of Concern to Potential Migrants from Latin America? 2014. Social Indicators Research, 115(1), 159-182.
Writings on education and pedagogy (peer-reviewed)
- Rethinking Teaching of Basic Principles of Economics from a Sustainability Perspective (with Dodo J. Thampapillai). 2018. Sustainability, 10(5), 1486. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10051486 (open access)
- Cautiously Implementing Team Teaching: A Reflection on a Pilot Team Teaching Course (with Caroline Brassard). 2017. CDTL Brief, 20(1), 1-7.
- Economic Evaluation of Sustainable Development (with Vinod Thomas). 2019. Palgrave Macmillan. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-6389-4 (open access) [~42,000 total downloads since its launch in May, 2019 as per Bookmetrix. Articles based on the book have appeared in major media outlets such as Business Times (Singapore), Economic Times (India), The Hindu (India), and China Daily (Hong Kong)].
- “Impact of State—Non-State Co-management Contracts on Water Supply in Rural India: Evidence from a Natural Experiment” (with Yvonne Jie Chen and Dennis Wichelns). Forthcoming. In Kekez, A.; Howlett, M.; and M Ramesh (Eds.) Collaboration and Public Service Delivery: Promise and Pitfalls”. Edward Elgar Publishing.
- “A Comparative Analysis of the Regulatory Framework Between the United States of America and the European Union on the Use of “Fracking” in Unconventional Hydrocarbons Development” (with Carmelita Leow). 2017. In L.-H. Lye, H. Neo, S. Kondepudi, W.-S. Yew, & J. G.-K. Sng (Eds.), Sustainability Matters: Environmental Management in the Anthropocene. Singapore: World Scientific.
- “Water Scarcity to Water Security: How Can Asian Cities Achieve a Sustainable Transition?” (with Maitreyee Mukherjee and Dennis Wichelns). 2015. In L.-H. Lye, V. R. Savage, H.-W. Kua, L.-M. Chou, & P.-Y. Tan (Eds.), Sustainability Matters: Environmental and Climate Changes in the Asia-Pacific. Singapore: World Scientific.
- “A Qualitative Comparative Analysis of Farmers’ Suicides in Andhra Pradesh, India”. 2010. In Olsen, W (ed.), Realist Methodology (Volume 3): Realist Empirical Research. Sage, London.
MANUSCRIPTS UNDER REVIEW AND IN-PROGRESS
Access to basic infrastructure
- Electricity Access in India Improves But So Do Expectations (with Michael Aklin et al.). Under review, Energy Policy.
- Examining the Willingness-to-Pay for Exclusive Use of LPG for Cooking among Rural Households in India (with Abhishek Jain and Sunil Mani). Under review, Energy Policy.
Individual and household welfare
- Inequality of Opportunity in Health Among Urban, Rural, and Migrant Children: Evidence from China (with Maki Nakajima and Alfred Wu). Under review, Journal of Social Policy.
REPORTS AND OTHER PUBLICATIONS
- Chindarkar, N. (2010). “Climate Change and Migration in Asia and the Pacific: Thinking about Vulnerability, Gender Dimensions, and Policy Options”. Intern Report. Asian Development Bank, Manila.