## indicates lead author
** indicates authors are alphabetically listed and have contributed equally
^^ indicates significant contribution to data collection, data analysis, and/or writing
Journal articles (peer-reviewed)
- ** Akter, S. and Chindarkar, N. “An Empirical Examination of Sustainability of Women’s Empowerment Using Panel Data from India”. Forthcoming, Journal of Development Studies.
- ^^ Orgill-Meyer, J.; Pattanayak, S.; Chindarkar, N.; et al. “Sustaining Sanitation: The Long-Term Impacts of a Community-Led Total Sanitation Campaign Research”. Forthcoming, Bulletin of the World Health Organization.
- ^^ Chen, Y.J., Chindarkar, N.; and Zhao, J. “Water and Time Use – Evidence from Kathmandu, Nepal”. Forthcoming, Water Policy.
- ^^ Goyal, N.; Howlett, M.; and Chindarkar, N. “Who Coupled Which Stream(s)? Policy Innovation and Entrepreneurship in the Energy-Water Nexus in Gujarat, India.” Forthcoming, Public Administration and Development.
- ** Chen, Y.J.; Chindarkar, N.; and Xiao, Y. 2019. “Effect of Reliable Electricity on Health Facilities, Health Information, and Child and Maternal Health Services Utilization: Evidence from Rural Gujarat, India”. Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, 38(7). https://doi.org/10.1186/s41043-019-0164-6 (open access)
- ## Chindarkar, N. and Grafton, Q. 2019. “India’s Depleting Groundwater: When Science Meets Policy”. Asia & the Pacific Policy Studies, 6(1), 108-124. https://doi.org/10.1002/app5.269 (open access)
- ** Akter, S. and Chindarkar, N. 2019. “The Link between Mothers’ Vulnerability to Intimate Partner Violence and Children’s Human Capital”. Social Science Research, 78, 187-202.
- ^^ Jensen, O. and Chindarkar, N. 2019. “Sustaining Reforms in Water Service Delivery: The Role of Service Quality, Salience, Trust and Financial Viability”. Water Resources Management, 33(3), 975-992.
- ## Chindarkar, N.; Chen, Y.J., and Gurung, Y. 2018. “Subjective Well-being Effects of Coping Cost: Evidence from Household Water Supply in Kathmandu Valley, Nepal”. Journal of Happiness Studies. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-018-0060-6 (published online)
- ## Chindarkar, N.; Chen Y.J.; and Wichelns, D. 2018. “Government-Civil Society Co-management Contracts for Rural Water Services: Lessons from India”. Policy Design and Practice, 1(4), 269-280. https://doi.org/10.1080/25741292.2018.1554200 (open access)
- ** Chindarkar, N. and Thampapillai. D. J. 2018. “Rethinking Teaching of Basic Principles of Economics from a Sustainability Perspective”. Sustainability, 10(5), 1486. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10051486 (open access)
- ## Chindarkar, N.; Howlett, M; and M Ramesh. 2017. Conceptualizing Effective Social Policy Design: Design Spaces and Capacity Challenges. Public Administration and Development, 37(1), 3-14.
- Chindarkar, N. 2017. Beyond Power Politics: Evaluating the Policy Design Process of Rural Electrification in Gujarat, India. Public Administration and Development, 37(1), 28-39.
- ** Chen, Y.J. and Chindarkar, N. 2017. The Value of Skills: Raising the Socio-Economic Status of Rural Women in India. Development Policy Review, 35(2), 229-261.
- ^^ Brassard, C. and Chindarkar, N. 2017. Cautiously Implementing Team Teaching: A Reflection on a Pilot Team Teaching Course. CDTL Brief, 20(1), 1-7.
- ^^ Mukherjee, M.; Chindarkar, N. and Gronwall, J. 2015. Non-Revenue Water and Cost Recovery in Urban India: The Case of Bangalore. Water Policy, 17(3), 484-501.
- Chindarkar, N. 2014. Is Subjective Well-Being of Concern to Potential Migrants from Latin America? Social Indicators Research, 115(1), 159-182.
- Chindarkar, N. 2012. Gender and Climate Change-induced Migration: Proposing a Framework for Analysis. Environmental Research Letters, 7(2), 1-7.
- ^^ Thomas, V. and Chindarkar, N. “Economic Evaluation of Sustainable Development”. 2019. Palgrave Macmillan. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-6389-4 (open access)
- ## Chindarkar, N.; Chen, Y.J.; Wichelns, D. (Forthcoming). “Impact of State—Non-State Co-management Contracts on Water Supply in Rural India: Evidence from a Natural Experiment” in Kekez, A.; Howlett, M.; and M Ramesh (Eds.) Collaboration and Public Service Delivery: Promise and Pitfalls”. Edward Elgar Publishing.
- ^^ Leow, C., & Chindarkar, N. 2017. A Comparative Analysis of the Regulatory Framework Between the United States of America and the European Union on the Use of “Fracking” in Unconventional Hydrocarbons Development. In L.-H. Lye, H. Neo, S. Kondepudi, W.-S. Yew, & J. G.-K. Sng (Eds.), Sustainability Matters: Environmental Management in the Anthropocene. Singapore: World Scientific.
- ^^ Mukherjee, M., Wichelns, D., & Chindarkar, N. 2015. Water Scarcity to Water Security: How Can Asian Cities Achieve a Sustainable Transition? In L.-H. Lye, V. R. Savage, H.-W. Kua, L.-M. Chou, & P.-Y. Tan (Eds.), Sustainability Matters: Environmental and Climate Changes in the Asia-Pacific. Singapore: World Scientific.
- Chindarkar, N. 2010. “A Qualitative Comparative Analysis of Farmers’ Suicides in Andhra Pradesh, India” in Olsen, W (ed.), Realist Methodology (Volume 3): Realist Empirical Research. Sage, London.
Papers under review
- ** Chindarkar, N. and Goyal, N. “One Price Doesn’t Fit All: An Examination of Heterogeneity in Price Elasticity of Residential Electricity in India”. Revised and resubmitted, Energy Economics.
- ^^ Vikram, K. and Chindarkar, N. “Bridging the Gender Gap in Cognitive Achievement in India: The Role of Food Supplementation in Early Childhood”. Under review, World Development.
- ^^ Pelz, S.; Chindarkar, N.; and Urpelainen, J. “Energy Access for Marginalized Communities: Status and Trends in Rural India”. Under review, World Development.
- ^^ Akter, S; Chindarkar, N.; W. Erskine, L. Spyckerelle, and J. Imron “Impact of Improved Maize Variety Adoption on Farmers’ Market Participation in Timor-Leste”. Under review, Journal of International Development.
- ## Chindarkar, N.; Chen, Y.J.; and Sathe, S. “Impact of Farm Electricity Supply Management on Farm Households: Evidence from India”. Manuscript being prepared for submission to Energy Policy.
- ## Chindarkar, N.; Nakajima, M.; and Wu, Alfred M. “Moving to Opportunity? Inequality of Opportunity in Health Among Rural, Urban, and Migrant Chinese Residents”. Manuscript being prepared for submission to Social Science & Medicine.
- ## Aklin, M.; Chindarkar, N. et al. “Changing Landscape of Energy Access in India: Evidence from Longitudinal Data” (joint lead author). Manuscript being prepared for submission to Nature Energy.
Reports and other publications
- Chindarkar, N. and Leegwater, A. (2011). “STRIVE Mozambique: Exploring Relationships between Social Capital and Household and Child Outcomes”. Working Paper. The IRIS Center at the University of Maryland, College Park.
- Chindarkar, N. (2010). “Climate Change and Migration in Asia and the Pacific: Thinking about Vulnerability, Gender Dimensions, and Policy Options”. Intern Report. Asian Development Bank, Manila.